Support, safety and security
Our residents and their parents find peace of mind knowing that our collegiate model provides supervision, stability and 24/7 support.
In essence, his means that everyone — including our staff members, Fellows and academic tutors — looks out for our residents. We work hard to ensure all students are connected; there is always someone to talk to, to share key moments with or to help out with their study.
A benefit of College life is our on-the-ground staff, who very often are the first to note if a student needs help. We are proud of how well we know each student at Jane, and how much care we invest in each member of our tight-knit community.
While rewarding, we know that university can also be a challenging time for our students, which is why their mental and physical wellbeing is our top priority.
Our commitment to providing 24/7 support is made possible through the Student Wellbeing Team, made up of the Dean of Students and the Senior Residents.
The Dean of Students is the primary support provider for the College and offers:
- Face-to-face support
- Contact with parents
- Cultural support
- Support service referrals.
Lead by the Dean of Students and employed for their leadership skills, the Senior Residents are live-in members of staff. They act as peer leaders within the community and provide after-hours assistance.
Senior Residents are required to have a Working with Vulnerable People check and, as likely first responders in any challenging situation, undergo a rigorous training program that includes:
- First aid and mental health first aid
- Fire warden
- Equal opportunities awareness
- Trauma informed approach to work
- Suicide prevention
- Mindfulness and wellbeing
- Sexual trauma first responder
- Cultural awareness
- Harassment and bullying awareness.
Safety and Security
Our grounds aren’t just beautifully maintained, they’re also secure:
- Located in South Hobart, a safe and peaceful suburb
- All external doors require keys to enter
- Timed gates close at 10:00 pm each night
- Resident-only access to gates and entrances after 10:00 pm
- On-call residential staff.
Dean of Students