A History of Jane
Founded by the Tasmanian Council of Churches in 1950, Jane Franklin Hall was established as an all-female, non-denominational Christian College where all faiths and beliefs were welcomed.
Our namesake Jane, Lady Franklin was an early advocate for women’s education in colonial society and wife of Tasmanian Governor and explorer Sir John Franklin.
In 1950, the College was a large, Victorian-style, two-storey house called Clothea, known today as Barrett. Those early students numbered just 16 in the first year of opening and shared dormitory-style bedrooms, played tennis and had a 10:00pm curfew.
The 60s were a period of stability as the College established itself as more than just an accommodation provider.
Academic study was taken very seriously, but the students also got involved in performances, social events and sports.
Facing increased financial pressures in the mid-1970s, the College Council took the significant step of opening the College to male students. Initially placed together in the Vines wing, by 1979 the number of men had risen to a third of the student population and they were integrated throughout College buildings.
Other wings were added over the decades as more property around Jane was bought-up to house the growing student population. Michael Webber House was acquired in the 1980s, the Frances Parsons Building was completed in 1990 and recently the Dr Karla Fenton OAM Wing (Fenton Wing) development was completed in 2017 – adding three postgraduate apartments to the College. In mid-2016, we also opened the former Principal’s residence, the Lodge, for students.
Today, Jane is home to students from all over Tasmania, Australia and the world looking for an open and caring residential community to call their own. Jane Franklin Hall now exists as the only private, traditional and academically minded residential college in Tasmania.