Support, safety and security
Our residents and their parents find peace of mind knowing that our collegiate model provides supervision, stability and 24/7 support.
In essence, his means that everyone — including our staff members, Fellows and academic tutors — looks out for our residents. We work hard to ensure all students are connected; there is always someone to talk to, to share key moments with or to help out with their study.
A benefit of College life are our on-the-ground staff, who very often are the first to note if a student needs help. We are proud of how well we know each student at Jane, and how much care we invest in each member of our tight-knit community.
While rewarding, we know that university can also be a challenging time for our students, which is why their mental and physical well-being is our top priority.
Our commitment to providing 24/7 support is made possible through the Student Well-being Team, made up of the Dean of Students and the Senior Residents.
The Dean of Students is the primary support provider for the College and offers:
- Face-to-face support
- Contact with parents
- Cultural support
- Academic and tutoring support
- University liaison services
- Support service referrals.
Lead by the Dean of Students and employed for their leadership skills, the Senior Residents are live-in members of staff. They act as peer leaders within the community and provide after-hours assistance.
Senior Residents are required to have a Working with Vulnerable People check and, as likely first responders in any challenging situation, undergo a rigorous training program that includes:
- First aid and mental health first aid
- Fire warden
- Equal opportunities awareness
- Autism awareness
- Mindfulness and wellbeing
- Sexual assault and harassment awareness (SASH)
- Cultural awareness
- Harassment and bullying awareness.
Safety and Security
Our grounds aren’t just beautifully maintained, they’re also secure:
- Located in South Hobart, a safe and peaceful suburb
- All external doors require keys to enter
- Timed gates close at 10:00pm each night
- Resident-only access to gates and entrances after 10:00pm
- On-call residential staff.